Friday, May 12, 2006

life without (er, with less) refined carbohydrates

These days I am making a concientious (sp?) effort to eat less refined carbs. In the past, I thought nothing of picking up some cream-filled pastry, flaky fruit tart, melon cookie bread, and the list goes on and on...and on. I never realized how listless they made me feel. In times of stress, we tend to shovel 'comfort foods' into our trap, even though those same comfort foods just end up making us more miserable or heavier.

Some good examples: potato chips, chocolate, pastries, cookies, heavy on the cheese mac& cheese...these delectable treats do give us comfort, until an hour later when our stomach howls and we are depressed from a sugar crash. Now that I have started to limit my consumption of sinful sugary baked goods, I am starting to feel more energetic and upbeat!

Lunch yesterday consisted of an interesting salad, consisting of: light alfredo sauce, smoked salmon, tofu, red tomato, baby yellow-orange tomatoes, wakame seaweed, blanched spinach, and boiled green beans. Strange and awful sounding combo, eh? Nevertheless it was really tasty and satiating! I am cutting down on plain rice, replacing it with more vegetables.

Anyhoo, this is probably very boring for you to read, but I am very excited with all this extra energy vegetables and whole foods give me! Won't you join me? If you have the chance, why don't you pass up the butter slathered bagel for something that's more likely to give your body and mental condition a boost?!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home