what's in a kimono?
Saturday afternoon, and the rest of the day, for that matter, was spoiled by a phone call from my dear paternal grandmother. She had heard from someone that I plan on wearing a kimono to my wedding, which is true.She asked me for verification, and I said it was correct. She nearly...sorry, not nearly, she DID flip out...screamed at me and went into the craziest rant I had ever heard from her. Like all hell broke loose and she was screaming at the top of her lungs!!!
She said, "you are Chinese, what the heck are you thinking wearing a Japanese kimono." Sure grandma, I am Chinese but I am American at heart. Like they say, a banana...a girl who looks yellow on the outside but is all white inside. Sure, I know a few things here and there about Chinese culture but to be honest, I was raised an American girl without a lot of Chinese history entertwined in my upbringing. The most Chinese thing we did each year was go to the boring annual Chinese New Year's festival sponsored by the Chinese cram school.
Grandma did not give me time to explain I was going to wear a Chinese chi-pao at the wedding after-party. She asked me what on earth I was thinking, wearing a Japanese kimono and all, spending more than 3000 dollars on it when skimping out on a ring. I understand she still harbours a lot of resentment about Japanese and Chinese relations but this is, after all, my life. Moreover, how can we overcome prejudice and racism in the world if we don't start teaching it in the home? It is up the younger generations to put history behind us and look forward with optimism.
As you probably know, no matter what you do, there will always be people who are not happy with it. So just do what you think is best and don't mind what others say.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home