Sushi lunch...


Last Friday I had congratulatory lunch with Asaho, a former student of mine. She had just gotten a full-time job as a math teacher at a school in Ibaraki! It is not an easy feat to become a full-time teacher, especially the first time around. She passed the examination on the first try and was selected to become a full^fledged full-timer. It's a rare thing indeed but doesn't come as a big surprise because she's a charming smart cookie.
We had lunch at a sushi restaurant and I was really entertained by the food there. The miso soup was HUGE - you cannot really tell from the picture, but it was astronomical...the diameter of the bowl spanning the size of my hand! I couldn't even finish it. I had the chirazi sushi, an enormous sushi bowl of assorted raw and cooked goodies.
The pic in the middle is called, かめ の 足 'turtle's feet.' It really does look like a turtle's foot, doesn't it? It kind if smelled like one, too...ha ha ha. Anyway when it was opened up (taking care not to be squirted by water escaping the body cavity), a pink fleshy part could be found and eaten. It tasted like shellfish...like 赤貝, akagai shellfish or something like that. Hmm, an interesting experience indeed. It sure made lunch amusing!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home