Friday, March 10, 2006

decisions, decisions, decisions...

Recently I am deciding whether or not to get an engagement ring. Unlike the States where the man surprises a woman with it, couples here go shopping together for it. Sure you don't have the surprise element but at least the woman has the ring of her dreams, guaranteed. ~_~

Hiro said it is up to me - we should get a ring I will be happy with...at first I looked at one about 500,000 yen (almost 5000 dollars)...and then I was seriously considering ones around 4000, and then 3000, and then ones from the States for 1000 dollars. Now I am considering getting a simple tanzanite ring instead. Just knowing that Hiro was willing to get the 5000-dollar ring is enough to make me happy. In Japanese we say, 'o-kimochi dake' which means, just the feeling of it makes one pleased. I am a ring size 5.5 in the States but 9.5 in Japan...my gosh it sounds huge, doesn't it?

You know the SAME identical ring in the States priced at 1000 dollars will cost you about 3000 dollars in Japan?! Yes, it is true...supply and demand and pricey labour costs? The diamond industry set a ridiculous guideline saying diamond rings should be 3 month's salary. In the States it is 2 month's salary. In Europe it is only 1 month's worth. Guys, don't you wish you lived in Europe?

Why all these thoughts? I polled everyone I know about their diamond rings. I asked if they wished it were bigger, smaller...more expensive, less expensive. One got hers stolen when a burglar broke into her house, many could not wear it because it no longer fit, others had babies and said the diamond would hurt their baby, others said it was too expensive to wear every day... In the States women wear their diamond rings on a daily basis, for the most part...therefore it is worth the investment. In Japan, on the other hand, it is just collects dust in the jewelry box...hmm.

I am more and more inclined on getting a tanzanite ring and use the saved money for that splurge of a trip to PARADISE, aka Tahiti and Bora Bora! I have never been one for overly expensive jewelry - partly because I am prone to losing or breaking things, partly because I would rather have a nice vacation in its place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home