Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Murphy's Law

One of Murphy's Laws must be this: if you do not have health insurance, you WILL get hurt or sick. Two years ago I went skiing and almost broke my leg - at the time I did not have extra ski insurance. (Most basic insurance plans do not cover sports like skiing, white water rafting, and so on...) This year I went skiing and had insurance but luckily left the slopes unscathed. ^_^ Yeah, still very happy about that.

Since Japanese healthcare coverage is not comprehensive enough, I purchase my own private insurance from this (see pic) company based in New Zealand. This company specializes in health insurance for expatriates and the like. It cost about 750USD but the plan is nil-excess which means my premium is higher but they pay 100% of all claims. With excess plans, you have to pay about 25-35 dollars per claim you submit.

Last year I went to the dentist various times, got an MRI and CAT scan because of an accident, and went to the hospital due to a severe bout of norovirus. It totalled well over 500 dollars so private health insurance was well worth it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home