Saturday, March 04, 2006

common knowledge in Japan

On Friday night I went to Hiro's dormitory for a company party. I was a bit overwhelmed by how many people were there - 20 (give or take) and little rugrats running around, too. At first I felt a little uncomfy but then I decided to try to chat with some of the wives - they were friendly and knowledgeable.

One woman, a Filipina married to a Japanese man, was very impressive. She's only been here for about 2.5 years but is already quite proficient in Japanese! She and he maintained a 6-year long distance relationship before they married...six years, my goodness! Though I can see why it could last so long - the two have a big funny bone, seem optimistic, and are playful with each other. It gives me great hope for the future.

The highlight of the night. Finding out a squid cleaning tip that is apparently common knowledge among Japanese housewives. To clean up the icky squid skin, you can use a paper towel to take it off. Wow! If only I had known about that BEFORE nearly choking Hiro w/my Valentine's Day dinner, hee hee hee.

At the party people were shocked to find out Hiro is 35...and then even MORE shocked to find out that I am 10 years his junior. Again, Hiro was told it was a crime "sore wa hanzai janai?" to date me. Actually it's said in Japan that if you are a full Chinese zodiac cycle different in age, THEN it is truly a crime. For example, if the man is a dragon (1976) and his wife is also a dragon (1988) or younger, it's practically considered a crime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home