Wednesday, February 21, 2007

one week of vacation! (not here though...)

HAPPY NEW YEAR, again! According to the ancient lunar calendar, the Chinese New Year was February 18th this year...a Sunday. This week is a week-long holiday for those in Taiwan...(and perhaps China, I am not sure)...lucky ones they are!

My mom and grandmother held their annual Chinese New Year's bash at their house...usually 50-some people attend the event! Although it is potluck (mochi-yori) style, my grandma slaves away making her famous tasty specialties...ohhh, I drool just at the thought!

As a child I shunned such Chinese festivities and hated attending them. Our Chinese school sponsored an annual Chinese New Year's party...for some reason, I did not particularly enjoy them. To celebrate Chinese New Year's I tried to make baked sweet mochi-rice cake (chewy rice cake filled with either walnuts+raisins or red beans), the Hua family way. Unfortunately I seem to have used the wrong ingredient (perhaps wrong type of rice flour?!) so it did not turn out as it should have. Booo...I guess I will try again!

Strangely enough, I seem to know much more about Japanese customs and culture than that of my own heritage: Taiwan/Chinese... (much to the chagrin of my family) I guess that is only natural. The longest I have ever lived in China or Taiwan is a month and a half, max. Funny how most Japanese expect me to know a lot about Chinese culture when in fact, some random ESL teacher living in Taiwan likely knows more about it than me!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home