trip to the shrine
Though I am Christian and all, I partook in the Shinto (or is it Buddhist???) annual New Year's tradition of visiting a shrine. This is called hatsu^mode in Japanese. We went and upon entrance, were supposed to wash our hands with fresh well water, a symbol of purification making one suitable for entry? Anyway after that we threw in money into the altar, bowed, and clapped twice. I am not sure what it all means but I do it simply for tradition's sake. Then we bought some charms to protect our health. Some o-mamori (good luck charms) can be bought to aid one in passing and examination, protecting one on the roads (driving), and so on. Hiro's mother was so kind to buy me one for all-around good luck. I bought one for Hiro promising road safety.
It is said that this year is an inauspicious one for those who were born in the year of the WILD BOAR. So if you are inoshishi-doshi, please take very good care of your health - mentally and physically!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home