Wednesday, December 27, 2006

adulterated cream?!?!

Some of you may spend less on foods to save an extra buck or two, but hopefully after you read this, you might think twice about it! My mother-in-law always stresses using the highest quality goods that one can procure (without unreasonable back breaking, that is). I too have adopted her way of thinking and hope others will follow my lead.

I went to buy whipping cream to make whipped cream frosting for our Christmas cake (strawberry shortcake)...and just before I reached in to grab the one on sale, the woman asked me to taste a sample: whipped cream (100% fresh milk from Hokkaido, think Wisconsin of America) on some sponge cake. It was heavenly and so light, unlike much of that found in some franchise cake shops.

I breathed a sigh of relief as I reached for the REAL milk whipping cream (I was almost fooled into going cheaper!) and not the significantly cheaper alternative posing as real whipping cream. How tricky! The fake whipping cream is made from all sorts of emusifiers, preservatives, and vegetable oils...oh, yuck, the travesty! Now I have begun to suspect that many shops use this fake whipping cream. Here is what gives it away: real cream hardens after sitting for some time, fake cream leaves a very oily residue on one's tongue and the roof of one's mouth, and fake cream lasts for ages!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home