what delightful performances
Yesterday I went to see two of my former students (sisters) play the violin at their annual Christmas recital. I was told their teacher is a reknown violin player as well as instructor who comes to Tsukuba only once a week. I did not tell the girls I would come see their performance so they were so surprised to see me. Hee hee, I like surprises! I got them some chocolates instead of the usual flowers because someone told me they would receive too many flowers from others. They were right on, making the choice of chocolates a great one!
My 70-some-year old student referred me to the little girls, her grandchildren. She explicitly mentioned she did not wish for them to truly 'study' from textbooks and the typical English academia. Instead she asked if I would play with them in English and serve as kind of a mentor as well. It is one of my most enjoyable classes - we play games in English using simple English phrases, built gingerbread houses (last week), and sometimes even do yoga in English.
It is a joy to see them truly want to know more English not just to pass another routine test at school. What's more motivating than learning while having fun?! If you want your child to learn from a textbook, don't send them my way. ^_^

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home