Monday, December 18, 2006

that special thing that not everyone has

Charisma. This is something I have been pondering for quite some time. Charisma is not a gift that all those have...at the same time, I think it is something very desirable but not always attainable. You know it's fascinating how some people ooze charisma from every pore of their body while others seem to suck the life out of everything they encounter.

On Saturday I was again a judge for a university ESS (speech team) contest. This time an intercollegiate (Meiji University) competition. It was impressive, seeing such men and women interested in topics other than shopping, gaming, and more shopping. Topics included: excessive disposal of cellular phones induced by consumerism, violent games effects on children, paternity leave, and so on. What very worldly and interesting students. I enjoy talking to them - keeps me young and fresh, too!

One thing I noticed from my first experience as a judge about one year ago, was charisma. Some contestants have it and come across as powerfully convincing; others without it try very hard and may be good at speaking itself but lack any ounce of persuasion. This is not necessarily due to a poor argument, weak English, or boring topic itself...I think charisma is key.

How is it that one has or lacks charisma? My best friend from my hometown once told me about the spark (charisma) in people. You either have it or you don't. Like it is something one is born with or without. Can charisma be learnt without coming across as fake? So many who try so hard to be charismatic end up looking like phony and contrived...if you do not know what I mean, just read "The Great Gatsby" by Scott Fitzgerald (sp?).

More on this interesting topic in the future...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home