Winter solstice
Winter solstice, tooji 冬至 the 21st of December (or is it the 20th???). On this special day, Japanese eat pumpkin and take a bath in which yuzu (Japanese citron) has been soaked in. (see my blog entry from last year around this time)Following this custom is said to keep on in good health during the cold season when one is typically more prone to disease, etc. These days norovirus is getting to everyone, including my poor cousin Michelle in Gifu prefecture! I have since stopped dining out (as much as I can) and wiping/washing my hands at every opportunity.
Another name for this day is, "the sun is coming back" (ichiyoo raifuku 一陽来復). The yin and yang are changing. It is an end to negative things and beginning of good times! Like starting off a new year with a clean slate. Sounds good to me!
SORRY, it was December 22nd, yesterday! I felt really sunny and happy taking a yuzu bath. For dessert we had sweet pumpkin puree!!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home