Ibaraki Prefecture hit by spate of muggings
One of many reasons why I carry very little cash on me. I never could understand how so many of my friends and acquaintances insist on carrying so much cash! More than 50,000 yen (almost 500USD) in their wallet at any given time. That's crazy, if you ask me. I suppose it is just one of many cultural differences. Japan and Asia have more a cash culture - a stark contrast to the plastic culture in the West. Pictured on the left is a 10,000-yen bill. The 10,000 yen bill is bigger than all other denomination bills. This way one is less likely to confuse a 10,000-yen bill for a 1,000 one. The other day I gave the clerk at the bakery a 2,000-yen bill. 2,000-yen bills have not been around for many years but, anyhow, they never seemed to pick up steam. The clerk mistook it for a 10,000 bill and was about to give me change when I pointed it out. She seemed really panicked and apologetic. To me, it was simply amusing to give her the early morning (6:30am) jolt she probably needed.
HITACHI, Ibaraki -- Three men attacked two university students here Monday night and stole more than 10,000 yen in cash from them before fleeing, police said Tuesday. At about 9:50 p.m. on Monday, three men assaulted a 20-year-old private university student from the Ibaraki Prefecture capital of Mito, and stole 10,000 yen in cash and a watch from the victim, local police said. The student suffered serious injuries to his whole body.
About three hours later, three men attacked a 20-year-old student of a national university, investigators said. The robbers stole 1,000 yen in cash from the victim and fled the scene. He was also seriously injured. The three appeared to be in their 20s and one of them is about 175 centimeters tall and thin. (Mainichi)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home