Saturday, May 27, 2006

not 'good for nothing' after all!

You remember in your school days when you used to learn about seemingly worthless things like geometry, chemistry, quantum physics, Catalan culture, and so on? Well, you might not know it now, but perhaps one day in your not so distant future you'll actually use that (hopefully) acquired information.

I cannot tell you how useful it has been to have a background in biology (my minor at U of T) and science. I am often called on to correct scientific journal submissions or help edit technical presentations...all that 'worthless' stuff I learned comes quite in handy now. I have even found my background in East Asian Studies particularly helpful in adapting to Asian life.

I did not want to bother learning Spanish (back in my HS days) but now I have two half-siblings who will likely grow up only knowing how to speak Spanish! I have even used Spanish to communicate with a fellow traveler whom I met in Seoul!

So the next time you learn something pointless, you might want to think twice! Your years of education is for something, not just a slip of paper! Doesn't that make you feel much better now? That is the most exhilarating thing about life - one always learns...the more one amasses, the more one can appreciate things! Whether it be via books, travel, friendships...learning is such a great thing in life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home