fate or coincidence?
I think in life, sometimes things are timed so precisely that we cannot help but wonder if it was fate or sheer coincidence... Today I met up with a man who wants to learn English but only reading and writing...and not speaking or listening. ??? Confused yet? In his e-mail he wrote that he is deaf...I was not sure if he really meant deaf or if he'd looked up and used the wrong word from the dictionary. Sure enough, he was really deaf but looked like and acted like any other person I'd met in Japan. I was pleased with his gentle, amiable character and was impressed with the fact that he'd like to teach foreigners sign-language in the future. He's taking various courses on sign language in his free time.
After this meeting, I heard things I had never heard before. No, not voices from above, silly. I mean, I had a renewed appreciation of sound...cars whizzing by enchanted me, splashes from puddles formed by rain mesmerized me. My ears were burning like never before. All those beautiful things - laughter, squeals, and other human utterances could only be heard in a faint distorted way. Though if one could chose to lose either sight or hearing, I'd pick hearing.
Tomorrow when I go to Hirotsugu's concert, my ears will listen and I will feel very alive. Unlike any past concerts I'd attended, I shall soak up the vibes and tunes with all my heart and soul. It is so true that we often forget to be thankful for blessings we so often consider 'basic' 5 (or arguably 6) senses. How lucky that I met this man today, otherwise I would not be able to appreciate tomorrow's performance to the fullest.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home