Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Did Hiro pass or fail the parental standards?

I forgot to mention, Hiro got the 'pass' card from my mom and grandma in Taiwan. My grandma especially liked the ukiyoe he got her and liked his gentle disposition. I was surprised that she was so open-minded, with him being Japanese and all but over the years, the bitterness and resentment in her heart against Japanese has waned. It is so good to see when people see someone as a person and not their race. I want to be seen as Vivian, not the ABC, American-born Chinese (or more precisely, Taiwanese) girl.

My mom was impressed that Hiro could put up with my at times infantile behavior, and was also pleased to see that I had found such a mature and patient man to take care of me. It meant a lot to see that my mom respected my choice and did not doubt my ability to choose a good life partner. Perhaps a few years ago I had less than impressive judgement when it came to men, but I hope to think I have come a long way.

My grandma in California still doubts my choice, even after she met Hiro, and I am hurt by that. She still gives in to the stereotypes, thinking that most Japanese men are perverted, pedophilic, domineering workaholics who do not give a damn about family. Just to make it clear, our town, Tsukuba, is home to some of the most attentive fathers in Japan. They make family (and not work) priority and are involved in their child's upbringing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home