Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Happy belated mother's day to the mothers out there!

Last Sunday was Mother's Day. Hiro spent the whole day at rehearsal for the upcoming concert while I spent the day with his mom. It was funny to hear her talk about his childhood and stories about his father. At night we went out for sushi and went for a spin around his old neighbourhood. It was interesting to see his former house and neighbourhood.

I picked out a bouquet (much like this one pictured) for his mom. I like it when I can go to the florist and order an arrangement perfectly suited to my finicky taste. I ordered a bouquet for my grandma in California, as I do every year...but she never mentioned much about whether or not if it is beautiful. Hmm, so it must have been ugly or small??? So this year I went through another florist and threw down more cash to make it bigger, after all...the Chinese perspective is: the bigger, the better.

For some reason Japanese people love to give their moms red carnations on Mother's Day. It was said to have come from Western tradition - hmm, is that so? As far as I can remember, carnations are considered the 'cheap' びんぼ くさい flower back home...hardly worthy of being given to someone. Though it is a pity - carnations smell nice, last a heck of a lot longer than roses, and are durable. (don't get smashed on transit) Anyway I don't mind carnations, gimme gimme gimme...hee hee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home