Friday, January 06, 2006

Ex, what ex?

"In Japan, when there is a divorce, you don't have anything to do with your ex-spouse ... you don't have anything to do with your ex-children, and you are sort of like an ex-parent."

Clinical psychologist Jim McRae, who practices in Japan, saying that one reason why foreign nationals in custody disputes have a hard time gaining access to their child in Japan is because maintaining family ties after a divorce is a "foreign concept" to the Japanese. (Kyodo)
_______________
This is why Japan is a haven for parental abductions, it is one of the few countries which has not signed the Hague treaty, therefore it is not under its juridiction. Once a child has been taken to Japan, the chances of getting him/her back is almost impossible.

In Japan people very rarely keep in touch with their ex's as they do back in the West. Basically a failed relationship fails on every level and the best thing is to end it as amicably as possible and then have NOTHING to do with each other. I mean nothing at all. The good point is that there is a rare chance of someone 'hooking up' with their ex therefore less worry of such, too. The best prevention is not giving it a chance, I suppose is their thinking. Can one still be friends with an ex if both parties are mature enough about it? Even if they can still be friends, is there risk for a 'slip-up' in the future? Think about it... Some men have to eliminate all photos and memories of ex's at the request of his wife or serious girlfriend. How about you? Would you incinerate all past memories of any ex to please your present loved one? As for me, I don't have photos of ex's because none got to the point of even being minutely serious let alone take photos together, ha ha. A few prom photos, homecoming photos, college formal photos though. They are good memories for me though and I prefer not to see them in flames, thank you. Though if I married and if I had pictures of ex's, I think I might see them go up into smoke just to make a clean and fresh start. How far would you go? Would it be to satisfy yourself or to please your partner...or both? Sacrifice those photos and momentos or hold a ceremonial bonfire? How much do you want to know about someone's history? All questions you should ask yourself...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home