SOBA noodles
On December 31st we had toshi-koshi soba (buckwheat) noodles. They symbolize longevity into the New Year. Soba noodles are incredibly healthy, packed with lutein (umm, good some something I cannot remember) and effective in lowering one's blood pressure. This might not be such a good thing for me, giving my blood pressure is already too low according to various tests and physicians - ok, pass the SALT and McDonalds...icks neigh the McDonalds. I am a bit of a soba snob and enjoy eating noodles made from ni-hachi, 80% (or more) buckwheat flour. After a recent survey on my visit back home, I found that the majority of buckwheat noodles in Asian stores in the States/Canada contain less than 50% buckwheat! How appalling for soba connoiseurs in North America! 80% or more soba noodles have a nuttier taste and chewier more fulfilling texture to them. Fresh soba noodles are tastier due to a higher moisture content. The first time I ate soba noodles I wondered, "what's all the fuss?" I don't know when my appreciation of soba began, but now it cannot be stopped! My favorite kind of daytrip starts with a scenic drive up north followed by a trip to a handmade soba restaurant. The hearty soba noodle meal is accompanied with crispy tempura dipped in sea salt. The day is then topped off with a visit to a local hot spring...ahhh.If you decide to eat soba, I recommend eating it cold with 'dipping sauce.' These cold noodles will keep you cool on a scorching hot summer day. Eating them cold preserves the wonderful chewiness of the noodle. If eaten in hot broth, it is still tasty but not as wonderfully chewy. 100% soba costs significiantly more than 80% soba noodles, simply because it is more difficult to make due to the lack of gluten in buckwheat flour. Buckwheat combined with regular flour allows the noodles to bind together well. Oh, last but not least...after one has finished eating soba noodles, they pour the cloudy water (in which the noodles were boiled in) into the dipping sauce container...and proceed to drink it. The water in which the noodles are boiled in contains various water-soluble vitamins and minerals...chock-full of goodness!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home