New Year's


This is KoNatsu-chan. Ko means 'little'; natsu means 'summer.' Konatsu is a Yorkshire terrier who is a fairly new addition to the Yamada family. She is the new companion to Hideko since Mayumi left for a 1/2 year stay in Britain. Konatsu is a very tranquil dog, only prone to barking in the morning when she yearns to be released from her house (a steel dog cage). She has learnt how to sit, give both paws, dance around (middle picture) in the air, lay down, and most recently, catch --> fetch! One day took her for a walk to the park when suddenly she spazed out and gave in to tumultous barking. She ran in circles like a dog infected with rabies...and her leash slipped out of my hand. She dashed away, farther and farther as we made a pathetic dash to catch up. (small but INCREDIBLY fast...again, don't underestimate according to size) A car came around the corner and I shrieked, "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and made the "batsu" (X-mark which stands for prohibited or 'no') sign with my hands all the while jumping up and down. The driver stopped in his tracks as we ran past him, still pursuing Konatsu. Konatsu ran all the way back 'home' to the condominium where Hirotsugu was able to apprehend her. Oh what a fright it was, the 3000-some odd dollar dog prancing up the street. I honestly thought we might not see her again. Gulp gulp, sweat sweat. (the average dog here costs anything from 800 dollars to 300+ dollars)
We spent the New Year's at Hiro's mom's condominium in Yokohama. Basically it was a routine of making food, eating, washing up...making more food, eating, washing up...relaxing...sleeping. Hee hee. I can now see why my student claimed she gains 4 kilograms (8.8 pounds) over the New Year's holidays alone! Hideko-san taught me various cooking tips and how to make shrimp fry. ^_^ I was elated to get cooking lessons, and in Japanese! From the 30th to the 2nd, I spoke (and heard) nothing but Japanese...it was a doozy! Input (listening) is not half as bad as output (speaking)...when I tried to speak, even words which naturally come to me didn't!
For the New Year's countdown we watched NHK's "KOHAKU," the show almost every Japanese family watches on New Year's eve. The show features various television personalities and famous singers from young to old. It was funny for me to watch it because of the outrageous (some a bit tacky but all the while amusing) costumes and hammy jokes. Then on the 1st and 2nd, people watch the EKIDEN...a huge (216 km/136 mile, 10-member) relay race from Tokyo to Hakone...and back to Tokyo. I critiqued the members baton (or in this case, sash) pass... i.e: "oh, what a weak pass", "now that's what I call spirit", "nice strong finish", "wimpy start...c'mon!" Hiro was shocked (yet amused) by my blunt remarks and perspective. The Japanese view the race as a team effort - I realize this too but I think by nature, North Americans are more in tune with individual efforts.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home