Monday, March 05, 2007

huh? What's the big deal?

Vegemite - the natto of Australia. Just last week Perry gave us a little sample pack of it, much to our (er, make that MY) delight. I have wanted to try it for ages, especially after having survived the Japanese natto challenge...even coming out a natto-loving champion! It's true - I love natto much more than my Japanese husband, heh heh...the irony.

Anyway we were 'kind enough' to share the Vegemite with Hiro's mother this past weekend. Despite Perry and his girl's warnings not to, before eating it, I sniffed the stuff like a dog...hmm, not that bad. I spread a generous amount of the goo on my toast and dug in...hmmmmm, not bad at all! Just like Chinese spicy oil fermented stinky tofu in a bottle, only yeastier. Ha ha. I suppose I am a stinky food vet: durian, stinky fried tofu in Taiwan, natto, Italian gorgonzola in Germany, stinky cheeses of all kinds in Toronto's Kensington market...this Vegemite stuff was nuthin'!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home