Wednesday, September 06, 2006

it CAN be helped, gosh damnit!

One thing I could not understand about Japanese people was their tendency to shake everything off with a 'shoganai' which basically translates as, "it cannot be helped" or "there is nothing we can do." Sometimes I can understand how quitting while one is ahead is a good thing, however, when it is obvious that there is another way or all the other ways have not yet been exhausted...you should not say 'shoganai!'

This bugs the heck out of me!!! I feel like saying it is such a weak 'cop out,' an excuse to give up. I think giving up is easy but to persisting in trying takes even more courage. I suppose sometimes 'shoganai' can be used to keep peace in a group - that is one of the only times I feel it is truly appropriate.

Unless you try 3 times, you cannot say "shoganai" - that is my new house rule. If you come to my house, please do not be so quick to say "shoganai." With my stubborn determination, 9 times out of 10, there is a way. Like we say, "if there is a will, there is a way!"

This pictures is our condo entrance. The area was soiled by a dark track caused by repeated footsteps in the same path, evidence of the previous tenants. I thought it was permanent but with much effort and an hour's worth of time, it came out. This is when I came upon my new rule: you cannot give up until you have tried it three times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home