children are so uninhibited!
Today just as I left our condo, I ran into 5 children, each sing-songingly shouting, "konnichiwa!!!" It was such a fresh feeling to hear such unrestrained greetings. For some reason, few adults in this town give each other nods of acknowledgement or greetings of any kind. The ones who are friendly are in their 70's an above - people who lived here when it was just a small humble farming town.
Personally I like a tighter community. It helps prevent crime and other violence around the neighborhood. This town is a very unique one, full of transient researchers and other temporary residents, thus breaking down the sense of togetherness.
In a study I read about, children often behaved well because they were afraid of what their neighbors would say about (or to) them. Now, without that fear, children in Japan are killing their parents, commiting crimes previously only committed by those of age, and more. Saying hello and smiling may not seem like much, but in life, as you know...it is the little things which count!
Say hello to someone today!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home