Saturday, September 02, 2006

GAP, cheaper than Walmart?

Just the other week I went to the GAP for a quick lookaround. I never bother buying anything at full price because in less than a month, it goes on sale. Sometimes if I do not find anything, I walk out empty-handed. This time, I found some basic tees for 300-yen, roughly 2.59079 USD. Then I bought a really discounted 400-yen (roughly 3USD) button-up shirt for Hiro...I really wonder if anyone bought it at regular price, 6200-yen (60USD)! And the best part is, the tax is included in the tag price!

Even in Japan the key is to shop off-season. Contrary to stereotypes, Japan is not so pricey, providing you know where to go and when to find it! Though I must say...traveling in Japan is expensive, even if you know where to go.

More reasonable than GAP is UNIQLO, Japan's answer to mass-productive clothing. UNIQLO is even cheaper than GAP and is known for having medium to high quality garments. Many men go to UNIQLO because of the easy layout. A wall of socks (same style and design) come in a variety of colors...simply choose a few (3 for 1000yen) and hit the checkout!

Part of me likes such basic clothing...while the other part of me resents such cookie-cutter clothing. My aunt in Germany relishes eccentric and one-of-a-kind clothing. She always stands out like a rare gem in a crowd because of her funky and artistic style. I love it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home