Vivian, the inquisitive questioner
This is a picture of one of Meiji University's buildings...the metal on the side is not evidence of an unfinished building - though it might look like a scaffolding, in fact it is abstract architectural art. Despite this (in my opinion) tacky tangled metal work of art, I really loved the interior of the building. All the chairs are ergonomical beyond ergonomical...I did not even know how they worked until I magically slid into the seat. Great chairs! Each room was well-equipped with the latest tech and more, all thanks to generous donations.Yesterday I was a judge/questioner for the Meiji University 'Mikami Cup' speech competition, a nationwide competition in which various contestants from elite universities gather to give speeches in English. It was such a unique first experience for me! I loved it - back in my H.S. days, I received a Varsity letter from participating on the Speech and Debate teams. ^_^ Therefore, I was particularly honored to have been chosen! What an exhausting yet exhilarating day it was!!!
10 students were scheduled to speak but one fell ill the day before and was absent. It
was mighty impressive, seeing students give speeches in a language other than their own! They gave one extemp speech and presented a prepared speech as well. The results were based on a combination of the two scores.As for me, I was a hard questioner...some contestants gawked at my very unexpected questions, now that is the real test of their English understanding! Mr. Ogawa, my senior, told me to ask very surprising questions, ones that they could not possibly anticipate. What fun it was - admittedly a bit mean, but easy questions would have made things so boring. Furthermore, it made it much easier for the judges to see their true English level. (see, I even look intimidating in the pic to the R)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home