Saturday, June 17, 2006

Shingoster Cafe, a hidden gem

Is this cute or what? This comes from Shingoster, a cafe a student recommended to me a long time ago. (and kindly gave me a postcard...you know who you are!) I now know why it is her favorite cafe - it has such a cozy and intimate feel to it, great for chatting on a more personal level.

It is hard to locate because it looks like a regular old-fashioned Japanese house. Inside there is a gallery of pottery and other interesting artsy, appealing-to-the-eye items. The coffee was pleasantly strong and the sugar cubes were layed out ever so carefully.

I think such charm keeps customers coming back - things that make it different from other cafes. Although the actual cafe part is located in the dim attic of the house, it is surprisingly nice. Cafes in Japan are especially great (granted coffee comes at 5 bucks a hit)...this is why I, at times, loathe Starbucks and other such franchises - they drive away all the charming cafes I love so much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home