Thursday, June 01, 2006

happy happy sunny day! I hope sun comes your way

Another sunny day, another day for laundry and drying my futons!!! After a very long spell of rainy weather, we've been lucky enough to be blessed with three full days of sun sun sun! Being the very weather-related person that I am, I feel so happy, I can hardly contain myself!

I have learnt many things about futon drying - this is done on a daily basis! That is, provided it isn't wet out. It is said that one loses one cup (250cc) or more of water when they sleep. Eww...that means our sheets and bed are drenched in sweat by the time we wake up!

The best drying hours are from 10am to 2pm, when the sun is at its brightest. My futon is happily soaking up sun as I type. Also, after one takes in sun-dried items, they do in fact smell of sun! You must have all laundry in by 3-5pm...otherwise your neighbors will scorn you. Ha ha, I don't know about that but it is true that clothes start to get damp around that time and you have to re-dry them if they've been left out. I often forget clothes on the line overnight. Oops - cannot imagine what the neighbors are saying now, but could care less!

I was always used to having a clothes dryer back home but have since gotten used to drying stuff outside. I figure I will make a small change in life, a small sacrifice for the sake of reducing global warming (even if my efforts are basically negligible) and do it the eco-friendly Japanese way, drying everything outside. Though these days more and more folks are becoming energy gobblers, buying 2-in-1 washer dryers combos.

Sometimes though, I long for a fresh-out-of-the-dryer soft and cozy hot towel right after a shower. I suppose I'll just have to keep that in my fuzzy memories bank.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home