we can only help those who want to be helped
Too often I tried to help others but failed to realize that only they can help themselves. Whether it be alcoholics, depressed people, those unable to find a boyfriend or girlfriend, people overweight and down in the dumps about it. No matter how much we try to help, ultimately it is up to them to change. People have to WANT to change - otherwise no amount of pressure, encouragement, or aid will affect them.
One of my students really wants to change, so I am willing to help him. He told me what he wanted to change and we came up with a 'game plan' to help him achieve just that. It is great - each week he comes back, reporting what progress he has or has not made. It is impressive seeing him take charge and make the changes he wants in his life! I have made it a resolution to only help those who really want it, otherwise I feel like it is a waste of energy and they might feel unnecessarily pressured from my 'good will.'

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home