butter-what?
This is ふき, butterbur, a common Japanese food...then again, let me rephrase that. A typical Japanese food for the older generations. It seems that it has gone down in popularity among younger generations. This can be attributed to its: slightly bitter taste, tedious preparation method, and fibrous texture.The good thing about this - it improves digestion, gives one all the fiber one can imagine, and is sure to have plenty of essential vitamins.
I bought some at the supermarket the other day as it was on sale for 100yen, approx a dollar. I offered my student half of it since the whole thing was too much for me, living alone and all. She insisted I keep it all for myself. She finds it a hassle and did not want to bother preparing it and more importantly, her children dislike eating it! Eeks, even this professional housewife found butterbur troublesome, what a surprise!
Anyway I boiled it, peeled it, and simmered it in typical Japanese 'nimono' broth. It turned out well, I was surprised. The good thing about making it at home versus buying it pre-made at the store is that the homemade version has a firmer and crispier texture, which I enjoy.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home