Monday, April 24, 2006

shattering the image of Japan as a safe haven

High school student in 'bad mood' kills elderly man
WAKAYAMA -- A 16-year-old high school student was arrested on Tuesday for fatally bashing a photo studio owner at the shop, police said. The boy from Wakayama Prefecture has admitted to the allegations. He said he committed it because he was "in a bad mood."

That is the lousiest excuse in the world I have ever heard of. Killing someone because one is in a bad mood? C'mon now! Unfortunately in the short few years I have been here, I have seen a sharp increase in juvenile-committed crime. I don't know why, exactly - some attribute it to the かぎ子 'latch key' kid phenomenon, others say it's because parents spoil their children and fail to give them any boundaries. If you ask me, it's an unfortunate combo of #1 and #2.

I'll never forget my student, the 4-year old terror tot who wanted to hurl a heavy rock at his classmate's head, full well knowing that it would do severe damage...or the evil look in his eyes as he kicked another classmate with vicious might. Or the time he hung onto my back while trying to choke me with his arms. Poor kid though, another victim of a broken family - his parents were divorced and his mom seemed like a 'serial dater.' If it weren't for his wicked streak, he'd be a really charming boy, pity. To be fair, I have met really great children here too! Not all are uncontrolled spoilt maniacs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home