Did you know? Bamboo days are hereeeee...
This is the coolest picture of bamboo - this stuff pictured is mature
and likely not suitable for human consumption. Pandas, on the other hand, might be fond of it?! I wonder if the one to the far right is NATURALLY pink???Yesterday night I made simmered bamboo from fresh bamboo shoots! Many layers of skin have to be peeled off before the edible portion is revealed. Raw bamboo is toxic and has to be prepared properly before consumption.
Packed or canned bamboo shoots are icky...they have a 'tin-can' steel-like acidic or vinegary taste which really turns me off! That is why this is my favorite season to eat bamboo shoots. April is kind of early for bamboo shoots - the best season, albeit short-lived, is from May to June. (so I was told by expert housewives)

Taiwanese people eat blanched bamboo shoots with mayo - very refreshing snack, especially when wasabi-mayo is used. Japanese top simmered bamboo shoots with dried bonito flakes, also making for a tasty treat.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home