robot pets and more...

"Robots and talking dolls — which don't take much looking after — offer a way for people to get a taste of security and happiness."
Masahiro Yamada, professor of family psychology at Tokyo Gakugei University, on why an increasing number of people are turning to robots to make up for lack of human contact. (Yomiuri Shimbun)
__________________________________________________
Personally the reason why I think people (or any background, not just Japanese) find robots nice is the existence of unconditional love. Robots will not shun you, get angry and shout at you...er, not that I know if, at least. Why else do people like dogs so much? They love to give and get affection and show us we are needed. Even if we yell at them, they come back to us, tails cowardly wagging in between their legs.
Would you like a robot dog like Aibo? My student bought one for his two children and claims the dog is like another family member. Personally I do not think I could grow to love a robot because in the end, my pragmatic side would win over and I would remember a robot has no soul, heart, or real emotions.
The possible problematic repercussion of the rising popularity of robot companions: deterioration of real human communication! That is the day I fear when people choose robots over people because life is just "easier" with a robot.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home