knit club or food exchange club???
Mrs. Kobayashi, the ultimate pickler, brought more pickles in for lunch at the knitting club. This time the pickles were smoked pickles...it brought back nostalgic memories of Applewood smoked gouda cheese from Kensington Market back in Toronto. How strange it was for me to be reminded of cheese when eating pickles. Have you ever had smoked pickles? This smoked daikon was really a delight...what a shame younger Japanese are no longer interested in making pickles and the like. It's kind of a dying culinary tradition. I suppose the time-consuming process which is required to make the pickles is quite the turn-off and I do not blame them for not wanting to learn.

The picture on the right is of 'hata hata' fish. This fish is extraordinary - even most Japanese people have not had the chance to eat this rare culinary specialty. It is from Akita and is somewhat rare because it can only be caught during a short season and only when the weather is lightning and thundering! How odd indeed. The taste was like pickled herring...but served with fermented rice too. The whole fish can be eaten...I am sure the bones gave me a chalk full of calcium.
Our knitting club lunches are getting increasingly luxurious, so it seems. Each time someone brings some candy, unique food, or something...it is really something to look forward to each time. Last time a woman who just recently joined brought her HOMEMADE candy...better than Werther's butterscotch candies! I was impressed by it...these ladies are incredible. I suppose being a full-time housewife allows oneself time to master such things...but still, all the things they do are really beyond me!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home