Monday, December 26, 2005

Sunday night DINNER


It was nice to be back home and be able to make culinary creations in my narrow but cozy kitchen again. Last night's dinner included: organic Chinese veggies from the farm we visited in Izu (L bottom), simmered carrots/chikua fishcake/chicken/burdock root/fried tofu puff (middle bottom), mentaiko - spicy cod roe rice with parmesan cheese and green onions (R top), premium Tsukuba mountain sake and nameko miso soup (middle top)! Oh, I made some kinpira gobo which is stir-fried julienned burdock root and carrots...but it didn't photograph so well!

For the first time ever, I used FRESH nameko mushrooms (see picture). FRESH ones are rather rare because they spoil so easily. Usually they are vinegared and sold in a clear vacuum pack. I was jumping for joy to find them 'FRESH' at the veggie market. I fear I scared some regulars (with my shrieks of delight) at the store - they gave me some pretty bizarre looks. The taste is nothing to get excited about - it's the slimy texture and the quality of the 'chew' that make nameko mushrooms so special.

3 years ago I never would have thought I'd be cooking with such strange ingredients! I just LOVE randomly picking up some strange veggies or ingredients and throwing them into my dishes. The results are always a surprise. Sometimes I get a BOO review in the form of, "oh this is rare taste, isn't it?"...or a YAHOO review in the form of, "oh, it's not bad at all." Sometimes I even surprise myself and cannot resist saying, "ohh, it's surprisingly good!!!" It's a little disconcerting for dining guests to hear the host a bit shocked at the tastiness of her own dishes. I will try to restrain myself in the future.

Maybe I should switch careers to research science, perhaps at a pharmaceutical lab or something???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home