Small ecstasy use 'harms brain'
Back in my university days, Ecstasy was a bit 'hit' in the clubbing scene. Most of my friends were smart enough to stay away from it, but I cannot say the same for others. My brother always told me if he were to find out I was taking drugs, he would beat me to a pulp. So I steered clear away from them. Good thing for big brothers. At a New Year's party about 80-90% of the attendees were 'high' on ecstasy. I was not impressed. Furthermore the pills cost around 20 dollars a pop! Anyway, I just enjoyed the show of seeing everyone make a fool out of themself. Afterwards I had to drive my friend home in her car because she was 'under the influence.' Not my ideal way of ringing in the new millenium but what a memorable 2000 it was.
Half a million Britons are believed to take ecstasy each week. Even small amounts of the illegal drug ecstasy can be harmful to the brains of first time users, researchers say.
The University of Amsterdam team took brain scans and carried out memory tests on 188 people with no history of ecstasy use but at risk in the future. They repeated the tests 18 months later, and found for the 59 people who had used ecstasy there was evidence of decreased blood flow and memory loss.
Long-term ecstasy use is already known to be harmful. The class A drug is used by about 500,000 people in the UK, mostly on the club scene. We know long-term use has a lasting impact so it makes sense that damage starts as soon as someone starts to use the drug
Dr Fabrizio Schifano, of the University of Hertfordshire
Research has shown that long-term or heavy ecstasy use can damage neurons and cause depression, anxiety, confusion, difficulty sleeping and decrease memory. However, no previous studies have looked at the side-effects of low doses of the drug on first time users.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home