Friday, July 14, 2006

like no one saw this coming...

Actor Shido Nakamura faces charges for driving through a red traffic light while under the influence of alcohol in the predawn hours of Wednesday, police said. A woman was in his car at the time.

"I was drinking champagne on an aircraft Tuesday night, and went to a bar in Nishiazabu at about midnight on Wednesday," he was quoted as telling investigators.

He was apologetic about the incident during a news conference Wednesday night. "I regret having done a stupid thing," Nakamura said. "I'd like to refrain from appearing in TV dramas that I'm due to appear in for a while."

The interesting part about this: actors are ticketed for DUIs in Hollywood all the time and it is no big deal. Notice how this offence is not 'blown off' in Japan like it is in the States. Second interesting part: the tabloids focused on the 'other woman' in the car with him (not his wife) more than the DUI incident itself. Just for those not in the know, Yuko Takeuchi and he got married (gasp, a shotgun wedding) not too long ago. She is, er, was one of my favorite actresses but has since fallen off her pedestal...I never liked this guy she married.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home