Saturday, July 15, 2006

Japanese Conversation Time

Yesterday I attended Japanese coffee hour, a 2-hour chatting session with other learners of Japanese and some Japanese speakers. Most of the Japanese learners hail from Asian countries: Taiwan, China, Thailand... It is this time when I feel especially 'American' because I cannot relate very well to those from China or Taiwan. It is interesting to learn about their culture and different way of thinking!

In fact people always ask me about Taiwan or Chinese culture but in fact, I do not not know much about it. (the truth is, to the utter dismay of my family, I know more about Japan than any other Asian country) China, Taiwan? "Don't ask me man! I never grew up there." I was born and raised in the U.S.A. - it takes people a long time to remember that and stop asking me about what life is like in Taiwan.

I like this group because we are all in the same boat - trying out best to learn Japanese and better fit into our communities. In the past the majority of my friends spoke English but nowadays my friends speak Japanese of champon (mixed E-J) with me. I feel better that way - more like a normal friend and less like an 'English teacher.'

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home