Sunday, June 04, 2006

The New Otani - a princess and a prince



Saturday I went to Lewis and Akiko's wedding! They got married a year ago but this is their way of 'sealing' it and making all the more official by tying the knot in front of almost 100 witnesses! What a fantastic event it was, to date my second wedding in Japan.

The affair was held at the esteemed Hotel New Otani, reknown for it's sumptious food (see pix) and excellent service. The food was, French, as it is in most weddings here these days. Akiko wore a gorgeous white gown and changed into a brilliant red kimono. Lucky girl! The reception was conducted by a bilingual MC who did a wonderful job.

The unique part - they had belly dancers give performances...perhaps a few Japanese guests were blown away by their near nudity but most thought it was a delightful show. After the party I intended to come back to Tsukuba to meet up with some ex-colleagues but my new friends from the wedding reception roped me into staying for the 二次会, the afterparty.

It was kind of reverse culture-shock for me because there were so many foreigners. Most took me for a Japanese guest so were surprised when I broke out in English. A friend of Lewis whom I had met 5 years ago and again in Japan did not even recognize me. He said I seemed less a 'banana' and more 'authentically Asian and feminine.' Interesting. Another surprise was how fast foreigners move in with the cheesy pickup (難破?) lines - I swear, if I had not been wearing my engagement ring (oops, forgot to mention that in my blog...see a future entry) they would have been just that much more (しつこい)persistent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home