Thursday, June 08, 2006

Japanese Salisbury steak...or meatloaf?

This is my version of hamburger steak! Hamburger steak is basically meatloaf (fried in a pan as opposed to baked) which is either drenched in gravy or Japanese-style sauce.

You can find this dish at any restaurant, especially family restaurants like Denny's or Coco's here. It tastes great but is really jam-packed with calories and fat. So I prefer to make it at home. The first time I tried, I made a tofu kind which turned out kind of bland. Booo. This time I used 75% beef and 25% TVP (textured soy protein, a.k.a. fake ground meat). It turned out surprisingly well!

Salad greens (arugula, spinach, purple something...), corn, spicy tomato salsa. A hamburger steak patty placed on a bed of lettuce and 'strategically' placed on a mat of rice. Finally it is topped with grated Japanese radish and Japanese-flavored gravy...the green bits are Japanese radish sprouts! I counted at least 20 ingredients, not including the びわ (or pee-pah in Mandarin), loquats we had for dessert.

This was great but the 'baked in the microwave' potatoes I made, ummm, were a different story. I would rather not talk about it. Ha ha ha. Let's just say, I have a tupperware top I can no longer use...and leave it at that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home