Thursday, December 22, 2005

Aren't you from Chicago???

This is what I always hear from students when they see me, teeth chattering, body not just shivering but convulsing... Of course Chicago is much colder than this part of Japan. The difference being lack of CENTRAL HEATING...oh God that is such a beautiful word. I'll 'say' it again, "CENTRAL HEATING." AHHHHHHHHH, I feel warmer just thinking about it.

Frosty the Vivian...da de doo de do da dummmm. (ugh, sorry...cheese mode...) This morning I woke up all warm and snug in my 'tent' made up of an electric blanket on my futon covered with a light blanket with me sandwiched in between it and a fluffy lightweight comforter. It was all toasty and great until I decided it was time to get a glug of coffee in the kitchen. I groggily grabbed my java and then...whoaa, 'what's this?!" FROSTY air? I could see clouds forming when I opened my mouth...POOF, I breathed...just like a roaring dragon from a fairy tale I'd become. Back in Illinois we used a wood stove to heat the house...then years later we started to use natural gas. I don't EVER recall being cold at all. I guess that's something we take for granted back home. Though I do recall freezing in Canada because my aunt is a thrifty woman who is a big advocate of wearing layers (and layers and layers) of clothes. I was always laughed at by Uncle George when he saw me get ready for bed by throwing on my thickest toque and gloves.
Did you know the energy consumption in Japan is only 50% or so that of the States? With it being so cold and all, I can surely attest to that! Anyway I am now toasty with my halogen heater aimed squarely at my body...though my fingers are 1/4 frozen feeling. Please send me warm energy...brr brrr BRRRRR. I've heard they have central heating in Northern Japan - way up in Hokkaido but that doesn't do me any good. With my 100 dollar or more electricity bill...you'd think I paid enough to keep warm, eh? (cannot lose those Canadian 'ehs' - I wonder if it rubs off on my students...)

This is a simple model of the heated toilet seat...they can range from 200 dollars to 800~ dollars. Some have water jets, gurgly noises to mask your tinkle sound, deodorizers, automatic lid controls (men: no more lectures on leaving the seat up), and more! Life without one would be a very barren life. &_& Now if only they had shower room heaters...taking bath each morning and stepping on the icy floor - it looks like I am doing a hat dance or prancing all over hot coals.
SEND ME HEATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home