oh-la la!
This is what happens when you forget to read labels in Japan - you get surprised from time to time. I made some salad for breakfast the other day and I used what I 'thought' was curly lettuce. "How cute and fancy for a change" was what I thought when I bought it at the store. When I was preparing the salad, as I often do, I nibbled on some of the leaves...HOLY SPICY, "what's wrong with this stuff?!!!!" I double^checked the package and sure enough, it was no normal lettuce - it was wasabi lettuce.I told my husband "today's salad is bikkuri salad...surprising salad" but he hardly noticed the spicy horseradish-like tangy prickling of the leaves when eaten covered with salad dressing. I had to tell him before he truly noticed! Wasabi lettuce is nice when mixed up with other greens - if you can find it at the local supermarket (er, only if you reside in Japan), try it and let me know what you think!
Labels: wasabi lettuce

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home