Tuesday, April 03, 2007

malted milk and tacos?!?!?

We tried 2 things you CANNOT get in Tsukuba last Friday at our friend's dinner party: malted milk vanilla shakes and authentic Mexican tacos. And lemme tell ya, both were sooooooo yummy. We have a shop in Tsukuba (El Torito) that serves so-called Mexican food but it is really overpriced and too mild and refined to be authentic.

The malted milk shakes are made from malted milk powder - think Ovaltine or Milo without the chocolate powder...yummm, like malt balls dissolving in one's mouth! You cannot find the stuff anywhere in Japan - trust me, my friend is very resourceful so if he says it's not around, it really isn't!

We also had tacos made with American Monterey Jack cheese, super duper authentic whopping tasty soft corn tortillas, and what's more - SPICY ON FIRE GREEN CHILIES straight from the border! It was so spicy I could have died...my mouth was tingly from the spicy seeds and I was sweating - beads of sweat started forming on my forehead. Now that is what I call authentic Mexican food!

Thanks M for a 'taste of home' better than Taco Bell, of course...and for introducing me to evil malted milk shakes - oh my, the beginning of another addiction?! Time will tell.

update: he got it from the States, unfortunately...but I will order some via ebay soon - if you want some, shall we get some together?!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh PLEASE tell me where he got it!!!! I have loved vanilla malted milkshakes since I was a child. The powder is great sprinkled on icecream too! Or just eat it off the spoon.

Malt powder is probably the food I miss the most :(

A

8:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey V,
Super funny blog, thanks for the props, but you are a wonderful cook too despite what Hiro says, joking!!! haha!
Martin

Hey A,
I have some at my house, I will give you some like!
Martin
macastil@mines.edu

11:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home