PEONIES in Kamakura!!!
Hiro's mother and I went on a day trip to Kamakura last Sunday. We rode a very scenic train...with a great view of the ocean, traditional houses, and more.This is a picture of lovely peonies resting under a straw hut in a flower park close to Kamakura shrine. The straw top exists to protect the flowers from harmful frost or snow, should it fall. The area is also laden with various cute Japanese umbrellas.
Kamakura is a really lovely place and I can now see why my friend loved living there so much. There is that ancient Japan charm, retained in the narrow streets and traditional arts/crafts shops. Kamakura is known for a) Pigeon sable butter cookies b) Japanese pottery and c) the shrine d) big buddha e) purple sweet potato foods! I love the place - it is like little Kyoto. So if you live in the Kanto region but don't have enough time or resources to make it to Kyoto, why not head to Kamakura to see the giant buddha and munch on some sweet potato croquettes.
Oh and did I mention how tasty the soba was that I had there??? Nothing like winning me over with good buckwheat noodles! Oh, that and WASHI (Japanese paper) was beyond beautiful beautiful there. Such beautiful stuff - I wanted to buy some of each type...like a kid in a candy store I was. WOO WOO WOOOO, so nice! Anyway I got gorgeous washi paper for my artsy sister-in-law, Jinny.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home