Friday, November 24, 2006

Thanksgiving in Japan...

For all of you wondering, NO, there is no Thanksgiving Day in Japan. And for you Americans out there, Thanksgiving Day is held in October in Canada. ^_^ I think that is due to the colder climate and earlier seasonal harvest.

Though it is not celebrated here, we do have the delight of celebrating a day off! Yesterday was 'labor day' in Japan. Most people were off but a great deal were still working. You might be thinking "oh, that's typical of workaholic Japan." Well, that might be a half-truth: their thinking being that they can add the missed day off to a longer holiday, making their New Year's or Golden Week/Obon holiday longer.

I enjoyed 'Thanksgiving' here in the company of my friends. Did I miss a traditional Turkey Day dinner? Kinda but not especially. I love turkey, gravy, candied sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, corn, cranberry jelly, pumpkin pie, stuffing and all the trimmings...yet I do not miss what it does to the waistline or makes me feel - very bloated and full.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home