Saturday, October 28, 2006

going to the embassy

Japanese law requires all foreigners who marry in Japan to first prepare a sworn Affidavit of Competency to Marry (Konin Yoken Gubi Shomeisho 婚姻要件具備証明書), affirming they are legally free to marry, from their own country's embassy or consulate in Japan.

Friday I went down to Tokyo to get this form notarized. I expected the embassy to be heavily 'fortified' which it, in fact, was! Guards surrounded each entrance and as I passed by, each one asked me the purpose of my trip. They radioed other guards to signal my 'OK' status.

I found all the staff to be official, helpful, professional and each gave me a green clear without hesitation. A few weeks back someone told me what a nasty experience it was to go to the US Embassy - rude security guards, defensive metal detector staff, and so on. On the contrary, they were quite friendly. Almost all thought I was a Japanese citizen going to the embassy to get a visa and were surprised when I whipped out my passport. ^_^ Ha ha, gotcha!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home