Thursday, September 28, 2006

rules of the road...rules of the train?!

Though I rarely go to Tokyo, when I have gone, never has a ride failed to baffle and astonish me. Many younger people lack the courtesy to give up their seat to seniors. What repulsive and selfish behavior. (sad to say, this does happen back at home too...not just in Japan) But then again there are the middle-aged men who stare at porn magazines in the train. C'mon people - when we say take it indoors we do not mean in a train!

The other day I saw an older woman looking very exhausted while standing. I stood up and headed to the door, hoping she would take a seat...only to have my hopes dashed by a young woman in her 20's plop herself down. The reason why I did not ask the woman if she wanted to sit was that some women, especially in their 50's or early 60's hate to be asked to sit down. They fear they might actually look their age or older. Do you get what I mean?

Hiro has seen women cut split ends with scissors and let them fly all over the place. He has even witness some women putting on or removing nail polish. Now putting on makeup is one thing but doing something that's potentially harmful to other passengers? Not just overstepping etiquette boundaries but also common sense ones. So much for regarding the safety of other passengers. Oooh. But I admit it is fascinating to see a very plain or even unattractive woman slather and cake it on, and look fantastic at the end of the 'show.'

I found this poster on the Do’s and Don’ts of being a passenger on the train.
Train etiquette:
-Refrain from using a mobile phone
-Do not sit in the silver seat section if a pregnant woman or elderly person is standing
-Don’t wear a backpack when the train is crowded
-Don’t hog two seats
-Refrain from applying makeup on the train.

Here is a list of what irritates your average Japanese rider. Click here for the survey in Japanese.

Here is what bothers commuters in London. Click here for the survey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home