Thursday, July 06, 2006

'tis the happy blue season

Blueberries are literally bursting with nutrients and flavor, yet very low in calories. Recently, researchers at Tufts University analyzed 60 fruits and vegetables for their antioxidant capability. Blueberries came out on top, rating highest in their capacity to destroy free radicals.

An Antioxidant PowerhousePacked with antioxidant phytonutrients called anthocyanidins, blueberries neutralize free radical damage to the collagen matrix of cells and tissues that can lead to cataracts, glaucoma, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, peptic ulcers, heart disease and cancer. Anthocyanins have been shown to enhance the effects of vitamin C, improve capillary integrity, and stabilize the collagen matrix (the ground substance of all body tissues)

I love blueberries!!! (oh wait, didn't I say the same thing a few months ago about strawberries?) I forget where I read it but I recall them being especially good for men for some reason, maybe prostate health? Tangy, packed with fiber, and bursting with antioxidants. NOW is the blueberry picking season in Tsukuba - at 500yen (5USD) per person, one can eat until his or her heart's desire. I find that women tend to enjoy (and indulge in more) fruit picking more than men.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home