bonkers for bananas
Have you ever wondered why bananas, as we know them, are yellow? We have all kinds of apples, so many varieties that one can hardly count...Granny apples, Fuji and Gala apples, Jonathan, Golden and Red Delicious...the list goes on.This got me thinking, why are we limited to only one variety of bananas? The yellow kind we always see in stores. I think it's banana season in Ecuador or somewhere because my local supermarket is carrying all sorts of bananas for ridiculously low prices. Baby bananas...with a vanilla fragrant honey-like taste...and these red bananas which have a hint of strawberry taste! It's great. Some bananas I ate in Honduras once tasted like green apples...it was scrumptious.
I wonder how one standard variety becomes the global standard. Maybe it is the taste preferred by the vast majority? The same could be said for potatoes, and any other fruit or vegetable...I remember seeing a TV show back in Canada about blue potatoes and candy-cane striped potatoes - wouldn't that wild to have blue or striped french fries?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home