Valentine's dinner...flames, fire = flavor?









Valentine's dinner:
Pumpkin and carrot soup (extra smooth due to fine mesh sieving and boiling it down)
Balsamic and mustard salad (pumped up with broccoli sprouts)
Squid red and green marinara
Roasted garlic, onions, and red pepper bruschetta
Shrimp and squid ink risotto
Coffee and two-bit brownies
Valentine's sweets:
Hokkaido chocolate-dipped strawberries in coconut and almond bits
This meal was one to be remembered. It almost left me with no roof over my head. I was checking a recipe in my PC files when I returned to a flaming kitchen! My gas range had a huge fire in it, a fire caused by coconut and almonds roasting in the fish broiler. My first mistake, forgetting that coconut is EXTREMELY flammable. My second mistake, using the fish broiler for something other than fish. So this raging fire was shooting up and I had no choice but to fetch some baking soda from the fridge and sprinkle it all over the stove. (see picture) The flames were safely extinguished. NOTE TO ALL: KEEP BAKING SODA at hand in the kitchen!
The dinner was not bad but my own critique...risotto should have been more al dente, brownie was too too too sweet for Hiro (but I love it that way), squid was a bit on the chewy side...er, to say the least... Hiro almost choked to death on some squid, surely the climax of the dinner. Oohh, I definitely have to learn how to better prepare slimy icky squid.
Cooking is like performing experiments - so fun!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home