happy engagement to you...er, us!?


Who said there are no surprise parties in Japan?!?!?! In Japan, where surprise parties are a rare occassion, we were just thrown one the other night. My student Eiji (see ihs head in the middle pic) orchestrated the plan with his classmate Shodo. They brought cakes (see photos...) from Cote de"Azur flowers and more. Wow, I was so touched that they went the extra mile to make it so special.
When they came, shocked me, caught off-guard and not knowing what to do...decided to whip up some oyako-kon, egg-chicken rice bowls...and yu-dofu (boiled and seasoned tofu). Hirotsugu, the fiance, was in the middle of English class with Josh when I called him, at which point I told him he had to come over for 'a bit of a surprise.'
We enjoyed a lovely dinner together and enjoyed some asti spumante. Who said Japanese men are not thoughtful and sentimental. I know plenty who can prove otherwise. On the other hand, I have been told that men in this town are particularly unique...preferring to spend more time with their families than on the job, kind of going against stereotype and all expectations.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home